In our industry, many backdrops are created using vinyl. After speaking with experts that use the waterproof materials that we required, we decided to choose polypropylene for our reusable backdrops due to its more sustainable qualities.
Polypropylene is considered more environmentally friendly than vinyl for several reasons:
- Production Process: Polypropylene is a thermoplastic polymer that is derived from propylene. It is produced through a process that consumes less energy than the production of vinyl, making it more energy-efficient.
- Biodegradability: Polypropylene is not biodegradable, but it is considered to be more environmentally friendly than vinyl because it can be recycled and reused. Vinyl, on the other hand, is not easily recyclable and has a long life span, which means it can persist in the environment for a long time.
- Chemical Composition: Vinyl contains chlorine, which is a toxic chemical. When vinyl is incinerated, it releases toxic dioxins into the environment. Polypropylene does not contain any toxic chemicals, and its production process is much less harmful to the environment.
- Usage: Polypropylene is commonly used in products such as reusable grocery bags, food packaging, and furniture, which can reduce the amount of waste generated. Vinyl, on the other hand, is often used in single-use products such as shower curtains, which contributes to the amount of waste that ends up in landfills.
In addition to these environmental factors, we selected polypropylene to use in our busy photography studio for the following reasons -
- Durability: Polypropylene is a durable material that can withstand wear and tear, making it ideal for use as a photography backdrop. It is also water-resistant and can be easily cleaned if it gets dirty during a photoshoot.
- Lightweight: Polypropylene is a lightweight material, which makes it easy to transport and set up for a photoshoot. This is particularly useful for our on-location shoots where we need to carry our sets to different locations.
- Versatility: Our polypropylene photography backdrops come in a variety of colours and patterns, making them a versatile option for different types of photoshoots. They can be used for food photography, product photography, skincare photography, flatlay photography and even for creating a unique backdrops for social media posts.
- Cost-effective: Polypropylene photography backdrops are generally less expensive than other backdrop materials such as canvas or vinyl. This makes them a cost-effective option for photographers who want to build their collection of backdrops without breaking the bank.
Using these backdrops in our workflow has been a game changer. In these challenging times, they have saved us time and money in comparison to our previous process of buying expensive materials to hand paint sets for each of our clients.
Give them a go! You won't regret it :)
Carli & Pip